Counting to 300 Hours of Exercise in 2012!!

Steps in 2012 (Goal: 5,490,000)

Sunday, April 13, 2008

First 5K - Done!

Wow! Race day was all I expected and more!

There were thousands of people wearing numbers and ready to run the race. It was invigorating!! A lot of the racers looked like college kids who have been in shape all their young lives. I was a little intimidated, but I talked myself into feeling like I belonged there too.

I went with my friend, MomOf2Boys, and it was fun to be able to accomplish a goal together. She has been a runner for a long time, and one mistake I made was to keep pace with her at the beginning of the race. It was too fast for me, so I waved her on ahead.

I only walked two times: once after waving MomOf2Boys on and once in the middle of a gigantic hill. I still feel like I have accomplished a giant feat, reached my goal, and feel happy with how the day went!

It was a very early morning; we had to leave the house at 7:15. The race started at 8:00, and it was just a gorgeous day. I think it was in the low 60s which was perfect for running. I started off too fast but after I got into my groove I was OK until the gigantic hill. I tried to just slow my running speed but I ended up stopping to get water about half way up.

I am happy with how this went and I am excited to keep going.

Lessons I learned:
  • If the race is outside, train outside. If the race has hills, run hills.
  • If you are running with a friend who you know is faster than you, let her/him go first.
  • Run at your own speed.
  • Don't be nervous. It is an amazing experience!
  • Having a race on the calendar is a great motivator! I am going to start looking for my next one!
Goals for the Future:
  • Run another 5K in the fall.
  • Run a 10K next year.
  • Work on running faster on the treadmill.
  • Run outside at least one day on the weekends.
  • Check out the 10K information and make a game plan.
This has been an amazing experience. While I am disappointed that I had to walk, I was so proud of myself when I crossed that finish line and found my family waiting for me. My time was 41:05. My original goal was to run it in under 45 minutes. That is the time to beat for the next race. I am not competing with anyone but myself. This was faster than I ran it at the gym.

I will post pictures in a bit. My laptop is dying and I don't trust it with pictures anymore.

11 comments:

Pam said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

You did a great job and everything you posted to keep in mind for the next race is dead on. There will be no stopping you now - you've offically caught the running bug:)

Da Doo Run Run said...

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!! You accomplished a goal you set out to do. You should be so proud of yourself!!!

Maude Lynn said...

Woo-hoo! You rock!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!!!! Congratulations!!! YOu worked hard for this. So glad you made it

Dana said...

CONGRATS... That is sooo awesome.. You must feel great!!

You should be very proud of yourself!!

WAY TO GO

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB DANILOU!!!!

Growin' with it said...

You are on your way to a marathon now!! Hee hee...feels fabulous doesn't it. So proud of you for setting a goal and completing it. YOU DID IT!!! WAY TO GO!

HappyBlogChick said...

WAY TO BEAT YOUR GOAL! WOo hoo!

Congrats!

It sounds wonderful - you did great. I think you're right-on about having a race on the calendar ... I suspect that's a big reason I got back into running so quickly after being out sick for a week. I've contemplated trying to find a race a month after this month. It'll get challenging through the summer, but I can sure try. Maybe you don't need to wait until Fall! (Can you tell I'm not a fan of doing this alone?)

thanks for stopping by and welcoming me back, by the way.

Aaron Cunningham said...

Very well done! Set an achievable goal, then beat it. :)

Why wait till the fall. Go run 3mi, 3 times a week for a month and then go back out and do it again. No wthe pressure's off. You know you can do it, and now it's just fun. :)

You could make it to a 10K in the fall if you wanted too, as well.

Walking was a bummer, but you listened to your body, and that's more important!

All of that being said, Great Work! and enjoy your running!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I love, love, love reading race reports like this. SO inspiring. Keep on rockin'!

Tina said...

Great job...motivate me.

I'm training...I want to run a 5k...and eventually a half marathon. The 5k that is supposed to be my first is on Aug 16th...I'm not sure that I'm ready for that or if I should even go out there. The half marathon is in December...and I've been told that I don't need to expect to run the whole thing, walking is perfectly fine...and it's for St. Jude, so I'd really like to do it.

Congrats to you...I see you've hit a wall since you're pregnant...what better reason to take a break!